Tuesday 5 July 2011

glory charles.....passion for painting

Glory Charles: A passion for painting
Reader by Glory Charles

At just twenty-three years old, Antigua-born UK-based artist Glory Charles describes his work as “having a freedom in movement and colour.”
"The building blocks," he told BBC Caribbean, "for expressing my understanding of life."
A clearer understanding of that turn of phrase comes from observing his art – a few of which are featured in this story.
"I love to paint; painting is a passion of mine. Some people have natural desire to paint. I find it relaxing. You can explore issues in this world and the next realm."
 I like Antiguan art. I like the mythological, bold art ... that I find when I research Antiguan art
Glory Charles

Glory Charles has just concluded his first major solo art exhibition in London.
As he tells it, painting wasn’t a first choice.
He tried his hand at a few other media in the visual arts mainly graphic design and ceramics.
But painting, he says, allows him to express himself a lot better, although at the outset he considered the previously mentioned avenues, as well as interior design as they were seen as 'being more stable.'
Flirtation with brush
Glory’s flirtation with the brush started when he was in university.
He is a Fine Art graduate of the UK’s University of Middlesex.
The young painter recalled: "I started when I used to do art and design in college…illustration and textiles."
"When I did painting courses, I realized I had a talent for painting... I then decided to pursue it."
Union by Glory Charles
Charles'paintings could soon be on display in Antigua and Barbuda

Glory’s parents were not exactly thrilled that their son was spending so much time painting.
"My parents have come around now. They see how many shows I have been doing and now they see the finished results. Initially they would say ‘get a job, get a plan….a proper plan…." he recalls with a smile.
It’s clear that the young UK-Antiguan is serious about his art.
Caribbean heritage
"It’s the immediacy of it. It’s the variables. I like actually exploring the properties of pain and what you can do with it and what paint actually does as a form."
So how do Antigua and his Caribbean heritage find its way into his work – if at all?
It seems as though it’s a question that he gets asked quite a lot but has not yet quite figured out the best answer to.
However it’s apparent that there is an Antiguan force or element that perhaps he is not even quite aware of.
"I think it kind of guides me," he figures.
But is it something that he deliberately goes in search of?
"Not quite," is his initial response, which is quickly followed up with what could be a natural reference point:
"I like Antiguan art. I like the mythological, bold art and the sailing ships and the sea that I find when I research Antiguan art."
 Glory is young. He is brilliant and very young for his calibre. Artistically, he is fantastic
Dr Helga Fox, Glory Charles mentor

And then that ‘natural’ connection bursts forth.
"My dad lives what most Antiguans see as an alternative lifestyle so I think that informs it just as much."
"There isn't always that acceptance but things reverberate through. So it’s quite ironic in a way."
Glory Charles paintings could soon be on display in Antigua and Barbuda and may even have a home there.
His parents have taken some of his works to the island and he reveals that’s his father is planning to open a gallery there as well.
Other influences
There are other influences in Glory Charles life.
He is being mentored by Dr Helga Fox, Director of HF Contemporary Art in England, art critic and judge with the UK’s Royal Society of Arts.
He is one of a number of artists she represents.
"When I saw Glory’s work I had the immediate impression that he is more than just a good artist. He is really outstanding."
She also observes that: "With Glory’s work, the subject matter is very intriguing…..it is an almost Egyptian mythological approach to his work, the colours are vibrant…that is in him from early childhood I think."
Dr Fox sees a Caribbean connection, perhaps a lot more vividly than even Glory does.
"It's his composition, the colour, his whole personality seems to resonate in his work and you get this Afro-Caribbean influence in it as well.”
The 23 year-old’s future in art seems assured.
As Dr Fox put it: "Glory is young. He is brilliant and very young for his calibre. Artistically, he is fantastic."
SEE ALSO

No comments:

Post a Comment